10 Jul 2014

The other day we watched a short clip of Christians being executed for their faith. And then, I was confronted with an issue regarding certain groups of people who are controversial.

I have been living in a bubble.

Well, I can't say that's a new realisation, I have known that for some time. But only now have I popped it (the bubble) just a little, and I am waiting for it to pop even more. I have a feeling that each time it pops a little, there will be a struggle in me. It will hurt, and I will grow.

The sooner I internalize the fact that we are not living in a happy world, the better. The earlier I understand that life will not treat me nicely, the better. The faster I lose this attitude of entitlement to all things good and perfect, the better.

Why?

Because that is the way the world is - it's broken! And Jesus never taught us to live a safe, comfortable, happy life, but he does tell us that there will be richly provided for us an entrance into the eternal kingdom if we walk with him. I have not been placed on this earth to make me happy, hiding myself from the "bad" things happening do not make them go away. Nope, I have been placed here to do something to help. The blessings that have already been received and the blessings that will be received far outweigh all the sorrows that we will experience on this earth.

So anyway, the other day I was confronted with a fear of mine. I realised that I can be afraid of people and what they would do to me, people on the streets who may be homeless, drug addicts - people of different backgrounds, beliefs and baggage. Here, I would like to remind myself that I am as broken as the next guy/gal. Whatever preconceived ideas, stereotypes and irrational fears I've had about people must be overcome. I need to learn to see them with the eyes of compassion and love.

A passage comes to mind.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself up for me. (Gal 2:20)

God has done so much for me, I seriously have got to live right by him, I have got to learn to love my neighbours.

No comments:

Post a Comment